Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Top 20 Films From 1990-Present

So, recently I have noticed that a popular question amongst filmmakers, is your top 10 or 20 films, right? And since there is no way I could just pick 10 ;), I am going to list my top 20 films since 1990 (it would be a whole other list if I said since the dawning of film time, lol) ;).

So enjoy, and please leave me your top 20 films! I’d love to get some recommendations! =D

Okay, so here it is, my top 20, actually I am going to do them all alphabetically, except for my top film…

1. Man Bites Dog
Directed by Remy Belvaux and Andre Bonzel

This is, without a doubt, one of the most creative films I have seen. That, and me being a huge fan of violence on tv lol ;). This film also has a ton of sentimental value for me since it was a late night while attending film school in London, that a group of us decided to watch this treasure of a film. It’s dark, disturbing, violent, but also oh so funny!! Seriously, if you’re a fan of dark comedies, you must see this! =D

Amelie
Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

I love how sweet this film is! One of favorite scenes is where she gives the box back to the boy, who’s now all grown up. I also love the gnome scene, because I’m going to be honest, I’ve kind of always wanted to do that, lol ;)

Battle Royale
Directed by Kinji Fukasaku

Okay, so I actually just saw this film last week - but it’s absolutely brilliant!!! I mean really! It’s so creative! And I hope they really don’t decide to make an American version - because that would suck! This film actually took The Matrix off my top 20 - so congrats to Battle Royale, lol ;).


The Boondock Saints
Directed by Troy Duffy

Yes this is kind of a Tarantino rip off, but who cares?! I’m a Tarantino rip off! LOL! ;) I love these oh so cool Irish brothers going around and killing the bad guys to save us good people ;). It’s brilliantly violent and hilarious… which is my idea of a great film ;). And Willem Dafoe is amazing! I love the scene where’s he’s figuring out how the massacre played out - the one where he gets on his knees - you all know what I’m talking about ;). Oh, and that court room scene at the end!!!! Seriously gives me chills I love it so much! =D


Bottle Rocket

Directed by Wes Anderson

Wes Anderson has made many brilliant films, but my fav will always be Bottle Rocket. The end robbery scene is hilarious! And I also love when they’re robbing the book store and all they have are the small bags! So brilliant!

City Of God
Directed by Fernando Meirelles

This is one of those beautiful films that I just love to watch over and over again. The direction and cinematography are perfect! I love it! =)


Ed Wood

Directed by Tim Burton

First off I pretty much love anything Johnny Depp is in - and yes, I’ve seen all of his films (and even a few 21 Jump Street episodes, lol) ;). But this is one of my favs!! It’s hilarious, and quite frankly probably how I will make my films one day - lol ;). Bill Murray really makes me laugh in this too - especially the church scene ;D. Love it!!!! =D

Fargo
Directed by The Coen Brothers

Two words: Dark Comedy!! I think this film is absolutely brilliant! It has that perfect mix of humor and drama that I absolutely love. It’s amazing.

Fight Club
Directed by David Fincher

Do I really need to explain why I love Fight Club? Lol ;) I mean it’s just simply put, amazing! It’s a film for our generation. Definitely one of my favorites of all time.


Gladiator
Directed by Ridley Scott

There is something about this film that I just absolutely love. I have always been a huge fan of the Roman days, and this film is just so poetic to watch. It’s beautiful and epic. Ridley Scott seems to be the only filmmaker in our present age that can recreate the amazing epics like Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur. He’s brilliant at them. And Joaquin Phoenix gives an awesome performance… aw I miss the days before he was a rapper ;).


Goodfellas
Directed By Martin Scorssesse

Aw, a lot can be said about this truly wonderful film. I should first state that I’m a huge fan of gangster films, I mean really, they probably hail at the top of my favorite genre. ;) This is one of the best gangster films out there, and I absolutely love to watch it over and over again. DeNiro, Liotta, and Pesci are perfect in this. And I must admit that I get chills every time the final scene plays and Ray Liotta directs his attention to us - it’s brilliant!! =D


In Bruges
Directed by Martin McDonagh

I love the connection between these two hit men. It’s so funny! It’s a great film that I watch over and over again. And we all know how much I love the dark comedies ;).


Lock, Stock, and Two Smokin Barrels
Directed by Guy Ritchie

Are you all seeing a pattern in my top films?! LOL! Yes, it’s safe to say I love a good violent film with some comedy thrown in ;). And this one delivers just that! This, along with Snatch, are just so fun to watch!


Lost In Translation
Directed by Sofia Coppola

This film reminds me of all the reasons why I love to travel. It’s that hoping to bump into someone that shares your views on the world that we all hope for. It’s beautifully done, and definitely one of my favorites to watch over and over again.


Memento

Directed by Christopher Nolan

Aw Memento. I use to watch this film religiously. It really is brilliant. I love how we start at the end and go backwards, and yet we are also starting at the beginning and when the two meet up - it’s absolutely amazing! This film also reminded me why I love Polaroid cameras so much ;).



The Proposition

Directed by John Hillcoat

A beautiful film that will get under your skin. There isn’t a lot of dialogue, but that’s what I love about this truly beautiful Australian western! It’s a classic story of whether you would be able to kill your own brother or not, and it’s just absolutely breathtaking to watch.


Pulp Fiction
Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Actually I really need a Quentin Tarantino list, because he has so many that I love: Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, True Romance, From Dusk Til Dawn, Natural Born Killers, and I actually really enjoyed Death Proof too! But, since I can only pick one Tarantino flick, it most definitely has to be Pulp Fiction! This film has it all - comedy, violence, great dialogue, and a Royale with Cheese! =D It’s one of the greatest films of all time in our recent film years. I mean I could write a novel with how good this film is, but I won’t, so let’s just say that this film has left my brother and I with many lines to quote (and I actually love to use the tomato joke - because I’m awesomely lame like that, lol); and I really want one of those wallets!!! =D


Run Lola Run

Directed by Tom Tykwer

This film is a brilliant tale of three different scenarios. It’s so much fun! My favorite is the middle one, I just love when she goes in there and threatens her dad! Lol ;).


Shaun of the Dead
Directed by Edgar Wright

One of my favorite horror… can we call it a horror film?? Well, anyway I love it. I love zombie films, and this one is perfect! And oh how I love British humor =D.


There Will Be Blood
Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson

This film is absolutely beautiful and has one of the best performances in recent years. Daniel Day-Lewis is mesmerizing in this film! I love, love, love to watch it :). The scene where he gets baptized is probably on of my favs. =)


So there it is, my list as of now. ;)

Happy viewing everyone! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment